Cavities are a common problem that can impact dental patients of all ages. There are many things you can do to avoid dental cavities. Working with your dentist in Willowbrook, IL, you can treat the cavities you have with fillings, and you can help keep your healthy teeth free of cavities. Here’s what to know.
What are cavities?
A cavity is a hole in the surface of your tooth, eaten away by bacteria. Cavities are caused by bacteria from eating sugary foods and drinking sugary drinks.
What are the symptoms of cavities?
Cavities usually show symptoms after they’ve had a while to develop. When your cavity is in its earlier stages, you may not notice any symptoms at all.
- Sensitivity to extreme temperatures
- A toothache that comes or goes, or regular pain
- Visible holes in your teeth
- Sensitivity to sweet drinks or foods
- Pain when biting down
- Tooth discolorations
What can dentists do to treat cavities?
Your dentist will likely recommend treating your cavity with a dental filling to fill in the hole in your tooth. Dental fillings can be made from different materials including amalgam (silver filling) or composite (tooth-colored filling).
What can I do to prevent cavities?
Cavity prevention starts by taking good care of your teeth at home and at the dentist office.
- Brush your teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste and an electric toothbrush
- Get tutorials from your dentist to ensure that you’re brushing your teeth properly
- Floss once daily
- See the dentist two times per year for dental cleanings and examinations
- Ask your dentist while you’re at the dentist office if there’s anything else you should be doing to take care of your teeth
Do all fillings have mercury in them?
Not all fillings have mercury in them. Amalgam fillings have mercury, but tooth-colored fillings made from composite material is known to not contain mercury. If you would like your cavity filling not to contain mercury, speak to your dentist.
Want to know more about mercury-free fillings in Willowbrook, IL? Talk to your dentist at Dentists of Hinsdale Lake. We offer mercury-free fillings to patients who want the best dental fillings available.